Gado Gado - Indonesian Vegetable Salad
- 4 Egg boiled, shelled and quartered
- 50 g Green beans Blanched for 2 minutes
- 50 g Mung Bean Sprouts
- 4 medium Radish Quartered lengthwise
- 50 g Snow peas Finely sliced
- 20 g Asian fried shallots
- 100 g Cabbage Savoy or Chinese finely shredded
- 1 medium Carrot Julienned
- Boil the eggs, cool and shell them, cut them into quarters length ways. Slice the green beans on the diagonal into piece about 2.5cms or 1 inch long then blanch them in hot water for 2 minutes. Remove from hot water and sit in cold water until cool then drain.
- Place the cabbage on the plate. Add the green beans. Then the radish, carrots, mung bean sprouts and snow peas. Top with the boiled eggs
- Dress with the Asian fired shallots. Serve with Peanut Satay sauce.
Peanut Satay Sauce - Malaysian Style
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 1 tbsp Palm sugar shaved
- 6 tsp Chili Flakes Adjust this amount to your tastes - this is quite mild.
- .25 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Coriander ground
- 1 inch Ginger peeled
- 2 stalks Lemon Grass white part of the stalks
- .25 cup Peanut Oil
- 1.5 cups Peanuts Shelled and roughly crushed
- 1 litre Water hot
- 1 tbsp Kecap Manis Make sure it is a traditional one and NOT loaded with sugar
- Blitz the spice paste ingredients in a food processor until it is a paste. Or pound them in a mortar and pestle. Fry the paste until you can smell it.
- Add the peanuts, kecap manis and about a cup of hot water. Mix thoroughly and simmer. As the water evaporates keep adding a little more until the sauce is rich in colour and thick in texture.
- Place in a clean air tight container and store in the fridge. Use a couple of tablespoons thinned with coconut milk when required.