Breakfast is relatively easy to eat Low GI Low Carb – omit the bread and add some cooked spinach or avocado.
But eggs and spinach can become very dull very quickly. I have fallen in love with the Breakfast Salad. There are three parts to a delicious and hunger placating Breakie Salad:
- A wide selection of salad leaves – baby cos, rocket/arugula, baby spinach, tatsoi, baby beet leaves, frisee, oak leaf what ever is in season.
- A protein – eggs, sausage, chorizo, smoked salmon, cheese, leftovers from last nights dinner – my favourite is poached eggs. For vegetarians use mushrooms, a cheese like Feta or Haloumi, or more nuts.
- Last is for crunch and texture – seeds like pepitas, crushed peanuts, pinenuts or cashews, and Asian fried shallots, onions or garlic.
Place the leaves on the plate, then the protein and sprinkle with the crunch. For a final touch drizzle over a tasty flavoured olive oil and fling a few shavings of parmesan cheese.
Voila! Breakfast salad.
Breakfast Salad Low Carb Low GI with Poached Eggs
- 2 Egg Poachedor Fried your chocie
- 1 cup Salad leaves Mixed
- 15 g Crunch & Texture see recipe below
- 1 dibble olive oil Flavour of your choice I like the garlic one
- 5 g Parmesan cheese Shaved
- Place the mixed leaves on the plate. Top with eggs. Sprinkle the Crunch. Drizzle the oil. Fling the cheese. Eat!
Crunch & Texture for Low GI Low Carb
- 50 g pine kernels roasted and roughly crushed
- 50 g Pepitas
- 5 g Asian fried shallots
- 50 g Peanuts roasted and roughly crushed
- 10 g pepper freshly ground
- Mix together and keep in an air tight container.